Falls are the main cause of both fatal and non-fatal injuries in people age 65 and older. According to the National Council on Aging (NCOA), one in four older Americans falls each year, often suffering dislocations, bone fractures, or head injuries.
As seniors age, they become increasingly prone to falls for a number of reasons:
- Changes in balance, vision, or strength
- Fainting, due to cardiac and blood pressure issues
- Chronic conditions including diabetes, stroke, or arthritis
- Reactions to medication such as dizziness and dehydration
Older persons can generally prevent falls by adhering to a few precautions. Brethren Village joins NCOA in recommending seniors follow these six steps to prevent falls:
- Join a good balance and exercise program to improve balance, strength, and flexibility.
- Talk with your physician to get an assessment of your risk of falling.
- Review medications with your physician or pharmacist to be sure side effects don’t increase your risk of falling.
- Get your vision checked annually and update eyeglasses when needed.
- If you feel lightheaded, see a physician right away for diagnosis and treatment to avoid a fall and serious injury.
- Keep your home safe by following these safety recommendations:
- Keep hallways and rooms free of clutter.
- Be sure stairs are well lit and have railings.
- Use non-skid mats (not throw rugs).
- Install support bars in the bathtub and shower and at the toilet.
- Use a non-skid mat in the tub and shower.
- Add more lights to rooms if needed.
- Use night lights and keep a flashlight by the bed.
- Keep commonly used household items on low shelves.
We provide senior living services to protect your health and safety
At Brethren Village Retirement Community, we take pride in creating and maintaining a safe, secure environment for our Residents. We work closely with Residents and their families to guard their health and safety so they can live their best lives as they enjoy senior living.
If you are interested in a safe, caring environment at a senior living community, we invite you to visit Brethren Village and learn more about retirement living here and our flexible financial plans. As a continuing care retirement community (CCRC), we offer a wide array of senior living options, including independent living, personal care, skilled care, memory support, short-term rehabilitation, and home care.
We hope you will contact us to request more information or schedule a tour of our senior living residential community, located in Lititz, near Lancaster, PA.